MIA & Maggie


I feel so terrible for leaving my blog unattended for so long.

Last November my husband was diagnosed with cancer. Thyroid cancer to be exact. For most people they say, oh, that's not bad. Well, his was. His cancer had spread to his neck, glands, chest, shoulders, and possibly even further. On Dec. 31 he underwent a radical neck dissection. His surgery was 14 hours long. Over the next few weeks we had to work on just the basics like feeding himself. His nerves were bruised and honestly didn't even know if he'd be able to perform daily functions. I'm proud to say that my husband is a champ and within a few weeks he was doing EVERYTHING!

Then on Feb 4 he had to go back under the knife for thoracic surgery. This time the goal was to get the cancer from under the clavicle and under the breast bone. This surgery lastest for nearly 8 hours! He bounced back and did great!

As luck would have it, all these surgeries did a number on his back and from mid April-mid May he was bedridden. I have never seen him in so much pain. As you can imagine this was very difficult on the family.

At the beginning of May he had to go in for radioactive iodine. They gave him the maximum dosage and he had to be hospitalized for three days. When he came home he was allowed no contact from family. At this time his back was still in extreme pain.

Mid May brought the first epidural for his back. It took several weeks for him to feel the effects.

Now here we are in July and wow, what a whirlwind it's been! He's getting ready to go back to work!!! Yeah!!! What's been funny is how I've dealt with all of this. For 6 months straight I was the rock. I stood tall, I stood confident, I held my tears, I never once let my emotions get a hold of me. Now that everything is starting to get better, that's when I've had the hardest time.

My wonderful co-workers made dinners for us for the last three weeks of school and honestly I don't know what I would have done without them. I feel honored and privileged to work with such amazing people.

While all of this has been going on I've been crafting, but not with the same intensity as I was. I have created a few cards that I'd love to share with you.


This cute little card was created for i {heart} copics. I used Copics, Tim Holtz Tattered Floral Die, NEstabilities, Spica Pen, and My Minds Eye paper. I also use a sentiment from ki Memories. The stripe paper is from Sweetwater (from my stash, it's pretty old). If you're interested in playing along in the i{heart}copics challenge, you can find it here.

FAB FRIDAY CHALLENGE - RED, WHITE, & BLUE





11 Responses
  1. Kerry Says:

    This is gorgeous. Hoping your husband keeps trucking along and maintains his positive outlook. He sounds like he has all the strength in the world within him to beat this cancer. Keep strong!

    Kerry


  2. Dear Samara,
    My heart felt like it was breaking reading your story. I was so happy to hear that your hubby was getting ready to go back to work. Your story could almost be mine. Tomorrow my hubby gets his check up from the hospital after having 3/4 of his liver removed because of Liver cancer. Before that was the colon cancer and all that goes with it. My hubby too is a real trooper and someone I am so proud of like you are of your hubby. I pray things continue to get better for you and your hubby and that they both have a much better year ahead of them.

    I think your card is gorgeous. I see she is all ready for the 4th of July in her red, white and blue. Super colouring and layout too.
    Hugs Marion


  3. Nice to see you back Samara :) Hope all goes well for you and your family from now on!! It's wonderful news that your hubby is doing so well. All the best to you.


  4. Unknown Says:

    Hi Samara...first and most importantly, my prayers are with you and your husband. Sounds like you've taken good care of your sweet hubby...don't forget to take care of yourself too. That's wonderful that he's doing so well! Your card, as always, is just darling. I love the DPs and your coloring is just so lovely. I especially love the flower! Hang in there, girl. Pat Frank (Richmond, VA)


  5. You are an amazing woman. So talented, so loving, so strong...don't ever forget that.


  6. My prayers are for your Husband and for YOU.
    Your card is great...love your coloring and the
    flowers that you added.
    Linda W.


  7. My prayers are with you and your husband. What an orderal you've both been through. Praise God your hubby is able to get back to work.
    Your card is great. I love your coloring and the way you've pulled everything together.
    Now - go have yourself a good long cry and let God wipe your tears and surround you with His love.
    Kathy Gerace


  8. Goodness...you have really been tested, haven't you? I am very proud of the way you and your husband have pulled together to get through this challenge. You are a very strong woman, and it is very important that you now focus on yourself and take care of yourself. Congratulations to your husband in getting back to his work.
    Linda S. in NE


  9. glad to hear things are much better and we are all proud of you!
    XOXO
    Kym


  10. Sandy Says:

    My heart really goes out to you - you and your husband are in my prayers. Samara your card is so cute - what a good way to spend the 4th - eating ice cream!
    Sandy


  11. What an amazing story!! and how fantastic that your husband is making a recovery!! I think it's very normal for the Walls to come crashing down when you have even the slightest moment where you aren't required to be the strong one anymore :( I sincerely hope that you feel better soon. I love your cards, they are really inspiring and I always read all of your blog too :) sending you prayers from blog-land. Natasha


Related Posts with Thumbnails